At Sutton Green, students are always working towards becoming confident of mathematics by advancing their understanding and competence towards reasoning, problem solving and calculating fluency. We strive to prepare pupils with the confidence, resilience and skills to tackle mathematical problems independently to function in a mathematical world. Our emphasis is on problem solving and investigating maths through everyday situations, it is a huge focus throughout school.
Our intent within mathematics is to create fun, captivating and inclusive maths lessons that ensure children are progressing and getting full coverage of The National Curriculum. To do this we follow The White Rose Schemes EYFS to Year 6. White Rose Maths encourages a Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract approach to learning, it is inspired and informed by robust, world-class research and global maths experts. We also implement it with and the NCTEM guidance. This allows us to adapt our lessons to give the necessary support and challenge to all students.
We aim to build confidence, resilience and a passion for maths, maths is an exciting adventure that everyone can enjoy, value and master!
Implementation & Impact
Sutton Greens maths lessons
- High levels of pupil engagement and involvement to encourage children to think inquisitively and deeply about maths.
- Concrete materials are key to explore and secure mathematical understanding. The concrete and pictorial stages are important parts of the learning process and should be valued, not rushed through. This understanding is then able to transfer into abstract thinking.
- Students have the opportunity to expand and explore their mathematics skills through different deliveries of teaching including whole class teaching, small group/paired work.
- Pupil talk is encouraged at every opportunity, enabling peer support, challenge and/or refinement of ideas and promoting the use of mathematical vocabulary.
- Have high expectations towards the use of mathematical language through explicit teaching of key vocabulary.
- Through our daily mental maths skills time students are able to improve and enhance their fluent knowledge and recall of numbers facts.
For more infromation on White Rose Maths please click on the link below :
In KS2 your child will be given a login for Times Table Rockstars and Sumdog! Click on the logo to take you there!
Every KS2 child has a Times Table Rockstar login. Times Table Rock Stars is a fun and challenging programme designed to help pupils master their times tables. The more your child practises, the more coins they earn and the more accurate they become. It's absolutely essential that your child does a little bit of times table practice each day. Short bursts of practise on a daily basis is much more effective than spending hours once a week. We will be practising regularly in school but we will need your help to motivate and praise your child for practising their times tables.
This is an educational maths games website that develops children's maths skills. Teachers are able to set maths skills for your child to work on. Sumdog asks questions at an appropriate level to each pupil, they will be challenged to increase their levels. Children receive coins as they complete skills that they can spend on their Sumdog avatar, pets and house. Teachers will set challenges regularly to practise the skills they are learning in school at home.
School Code: 62232